Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Book of Me, Prompt 2 - Your Birth

These Book of Me posts are inspired by weekly prompts provided by Julie at Angler's Rest.

I came into the world on a Monday morning in June 1979. Having been due at the end of May, I arrived about 3 weeks late. I weighed in at 6lbs, 11oz and was 19 inches long. I believe I had brown hair and blue eyes (though my eyes later darkened to brown). The photo to the left was taken when I was three days old, prior to my mother's and my discharge from the hospital.

I was born at Copley hospital, a small hospital in the rural community of Morrisville, Vermont. My mother grew up in this town. Born and raised. She, as well as many of my extended family, resides there still.

The attending physician at my birth was Dr, Gary Waring. My mother has fond memories of a nurse that was also present, though her name escapes me. I do recall a time during my childhood when the nurse came to our door on a Jehovah's Witness ministry. I think she was the only religious person my mother ever knowingly opened the door for.

I wish I could provide all the details of my birth for you, but my memories do not reach that far back. This exercise has inspired me to ask my mother for her memories of my birth, as well as to re-read the baby book she has in her possession. I do have a few mementos from my birth in my own possession: a certified birth certificate, a card that was probably attached to my hospital cradle, a decorative "certificate of birth" issued by the hospital, an immunization card, and the Notification of Birth Registration submitted to the Vermont Department of Health.

Note: For security reasons, I have purposely neglected to add certain identifiable information to this post, such as my exact birth date. I will add this information to my private, offline file.

No comments :