Tuesday, January 7, 2020

52 Ancestors Week 2: Favorite Family Photos

What's the story behind one of your favorite family photos?

It is nearly impossible for me to choose just one favorite family photo out of the many that I have; however, among my favorites are those of family reunions. They even provided me with the inspiration I needed for coordinating a family reunion in 2013.

The first photo was taken at the 50th anniversary party of my 2nd great grandparents, William and Olive (LaGrange) Beard (seated in the center of the photo) in 1949. The couple married on 11 March 1899 and together had nine children. My great grandmother, Elizabeth, who is standing between William & Olive's heads, once wrote a poem about eight of the children (the 9th was either a still birth or died very shortly after birth). Click here to read her poem.


The next reunion photo I have was taken at the 40th anniversary party for my great grandparents, George and Elizabeth (Beard) Baker in 1972. You may recognize Elizabeth from the previous photo. In this photo, the happy couple is surrounded by their 11 children. The eldest 5 children were from my great grandfather's first marriage to Ruth Miller (1903-1931). Following Ruth's death, George married Elizabeth and she cared for Ruth's children as if they were her own.


The final photo was taken at the Baker/Beard family reunion I coordinated in 2013 on the grounds of the Lamoille County Field Days in Johnson, Vermont (I am standing to the far left in the brown shirt). You can read about the reunion by clicking here.