Saturday, January 4, 2014

Surname Saturday - Aiken of Londonderry, Connecticut & Peacham, Vermont

I have very little information on my 4th great grandfather, Samuel Aiken and his wife, Hattie French. What I do know is below
Disclaimer: As always, my genealogy is a work in progress. There is a lot of information I have yet to locate and possible discrepancies in information already found. While all of my information is sourced in my genealogy software, I am not going to take the time to type all that out here. If you would like a source citation for a particular event, please ask.
If you are related to this family, I want to hear from you!
Samuel Aiken was born in Londonderry, Connecticut. He married Hattie French, who was born in Cabot, Washington, Vermont. I don't have any more information about these two. Hopefully someone reading this will be able to help me fill in these gaps.
Samuel & Hattie were the parents of Hiram Aiken (my 3rd great grandfather). He was born in Sept 1824 in Cabot, Washington, Vermont. He married Rose McLaughlin on 23 Mar 1854 in Peacham, Caledonia, Vermont. He died on 14 jun 1913 in Peacham, Caledonia, Vermont.

Rose Mclaughlin was born on 2 Apr 1830 in Peacham, Caledonia, Vermont to Irish immigrant father, Arthur McLaughlin and Vermont-born mother, Martha Preston. She died on 19 Apr 1914 in Peacham, Caledonia Vermont.
Children of Hiram Aiken and Rose Mclaughlin are:
  • Martha J Aiken b. 3 Apr 1857; d. in childhood on 29 Jun 1863
  • Hiram Aiken b. 30 May 1862 in Peacham, Caledonia, Vermont
  • Elizabeth "Lizzie" Aurilla Aiken (my 2nd great grandmother) b. 27 Jul 1865 in Peacham, Caledonia, Vermont. She m. Andrew S Corlis on 31 Aug 1887. According to her death certificate, she later divorced him. She was later living with my 2nd great grandfather, Edward Bailaw, but the two never married. She d. 2 Aug 1943 in Waterbury, Washington, Vermont.
  • Arthur Aiken b. Nov 1869 in Vermont; m. Alice V.Elizabeth "Lizzie" Aurilla Aiken (see above) and Edward Bailaw/Balaw/Baylaw (b. 4 Jan 1840 in Quebec, Canada to Toussaint Beland (Allsaints Balaw/Bailaw) and Elisabeth "Isabelle" Marguerite Turcotte; m. Mary M King bet. 1863-1868 (she d. in 1881); d. 1924.

    Edward Balaw/Bailaw/Baylaw and Elizabeth Aurilla (Aiken) Corlis had my great grandmother, Gertrude Baylaw. he was b. 7 Jun 1893 in Peacham, Caledonia, Vermont; m. Edward John Gamble on 29 Jul 1912 in Cabot, Washington, Vermont; d. 3 Mar 1994 in Morrisville, Lamoille, Vermont.
    Edward John Gamble was b. 28 Apr 1888 in Cabot, Washington, Vermont to Irish immigrants, James Gamble & Rose McKillop; d. 2 Dec 1955 in Walden, Caledonia, Vermont.





  • No comments :