Thursday, November 25, 2010

Those Places Thursday: Panton, Vermont

The Holcomb family had a prominent part in building the town of Panton, Vermont. Panton a rural town in Addison County, is adjacent to Lake Champlain and Vergennes (Vermont's smallest city). Among the original proprietors of the town, in 1702, were David Holcomb, Timothy Holcomb, and Timothy Holcomb, Jr. I have not yet been able to show how I relate to these individuals, although I am almost certain I do not descend from them directly. I am, however, certain that there is a collateral relationship.

Other early Panton settlers include my 6th great-grandfather, Phineas Holcomb (1726-1781) and my 5th great-grandfather (Phineas' son), Joseph Holcomb (abt. 1762-1833). Phineas, Joseph, and three of Phineas' other sons (Joshua, Elisha and Samuel) were kidnapped by Indians in 1778. They were taken to Quebec via a "vessel that was anchored Lake Champlain." (The Hocum Family by Mabel Hocum Adams p. 65-66). Joshua, Samuel, and Phineas died in 1781 from hardships they suffered during their capture. Joseph and Elisha were released from capture in 1882.

The Holcomb family resided in the toe town of Panton for many years. My 3rd great-grandfather, George Andrew Holcomb (who is pictured above) was a soldier in the Civil War. His daughter, my 2nd great-grandmother, Rose Holcomb (image on right), birthed my great-grandfather, George Dewey (Holcomb) Baker, while still residing in Panton. She later married Carl Baker and moved to Lamoille County, Vermont where she lived out her years.

I would love to know if there are Holcomb descendants still residing in Panton. If so, I would love the opportunity to connect with them.

No comments :